Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lush Product Review

In the last six months I have become obsessed with Lush. After repeatedly walking past the store in our local mall and being intimidated by the interesting layout, I bravely ventured in. I was confronted by farmer's market-style displays that featured fresh face masks and piles of bath bombs. After several trips to three different Lush stores (including one in Paris), I have finally learned how to navigate the stacks and find things I like. 

One of the bath bombs I have had my eye on for a while is the Honey Bee. The colors and scent seemed so subtle that I imagined it would be a soothing touch of honey in the tub. It was a bit of a let down, though, as the scent was barely there and it left a weird brown residue in my bathtub. 


I couldn't find this next item on the website so I don't think they're selling it in this form anymore, but there is a similar gift set here. I received this as a present on my birthday and it consists of a shower jelly and a soap wrapped in a patterned fabric handkerchief. 




The Sweetie Pie Shower Jelly smelled amazing when I first opened it, a light fruity scent, but the consistency had me perplexed. I wasn't quite sure how to use this product as it is one solid piece with a thick gel feel. After consulting Google, I discovered the best method was to scoop a piece out of the tub with my fingers and rub it into a loofa until it produced suds. I enjoyed this and look forward to trying it again soon now that I know how. Yes, there were several failed attempts to use it without the loofa at first, which resulted in awkward fumbling and general wastefulness. 






I have now purchased a few different bubble bars, but this Pop In The Bath Bubble Bar was the first one I bought and the first one I tried. It is much bigger than it looks in this photo and is actually the size of the palm of my hand. That, along with the crumbly consistency, allowed me to break it in two and only use one half for my bath. Half was the perfect amount, but if you like extra bubbles go ahead and use the whole thing. The scent is wonderful and not at all overpowering like a couple of other products I have tried. One tip: make sure to crumble it under the running bath faucet, not drop it into the tub like a bath bomb. I will definitely be buying this again. 



Next up is my least favorite product I have ever tried from Lush: the Pink Bath Bomb. I'm not sure quite what went wrong here but the scent, color, and confetti inside were all unenjoyable for me. The scent was just too much and I actually felt like I couldn't breathe, which happens sometimes as I have a sensitivity to strong scents and dyes. I didn't really love the pink residue either or the flower confettie so I probably won't try this again. 


This tiny tub was a little pick-me-up present and it fit the bill perfectly. A small, glass tub, it's perfect for throwing into your purse and using on the go. Mint Julips is one of the flavors in Lush's lip scrub collection and, although it's the only one I've tried, it seems to be the most appealing choice. The other flavors, popcorn and bubblegum, just sound too much. I love the minty flavor of this and how it actually works to smooth out your lips, helping lipsticks to stay on better and not have a crumbly appearance. You just scoop some out onto your finger, put it on your lips, and rub them together to exfoliate. 



In the spirit of "saving the best for last", I now present the Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub, my current favorite Lush product. It is a bit on the pricey side at $21.95 for 4.2 ounces, but I believe it is worth it. You only need a small amount to spread over your face and the scrub somehow manages to be creamy and exfoliating at the same time, producing a fresh and moisturizing effect. The scent is wonderful but did not have any averse effects on my sensitive skin. 



The links for each product can be found by clicking on the name and all can be found on the Lush website. I will be doing a second review of more Lush products as I seem to have built up quite a stockpile. What are your favorite products? I'd love to hear some recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment