Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A College Girl's Guide to Taking A "Personal Day"

With final exams quickly approaching, as well as graduation for myself and my roommates, it is important to remember to take time for yourself and step back for a moment from the chaos. Everyone has their own way of relaxing, whether it's reading a book, watching a favorite show, chatting with friends, or going for a walk outside. Recently, I decided to take a "personal day" by splurging a little at the mall and then enjoying some time alone.

The closest mall to where I live in New Jersey has some pretty expensive stores that are usually too intimidating to actually venture into, but on this day I was feeling brave and finally mustered up the courage to go into Lush for the first time. The man working there cheerfully guided me around the store and helped me sample some products, but I only had eyes for the beautiful display of bath bombs. I was happy to see something I could afford and after painstakingly smelling nearly every one, I chose the Pink Bath Bomb and the Rose Queen Bath Bomb.

I then moved on to Teavana a few stores down, with my empty tin from a previous purchase in my purse. The tea here is a little pricey, but well worth it if you enjoy trying unique blends and don't want to settle for the usual tea bags. I had purchased the tea tin on my previous visit and was excited to fill it up with something new. After perusing the choices and asking some questions, I settled on the Pomegranate Cranberry Crush Herbal Tea. I love anything pomegranate or cranberry, so I was sure the combination of the two would be a winner for me.

My last stop of the day was Sephora, a store I've been to multiple times to purchase small gifts for friends or to browse, but never to buy anything for myself. Seeing graduation just around the bend has obviously caused me to start thinking about my adult life, applying to jobs and casually looking at apartments; so I figured it was time to finally invest in some quality makeup. I allowed myself to buy all of the basics -- eyeliner, powder, a double sided brush, blush, and eyeshadow palette, and lipstick -- but chose to stay loyal to my cheaper brand foundation and mascara.

After my mall splurges, I headed home for some relaxation. I enjoy running, so I had a short run on the treadmill before preparing my bath. Baths as an adult are new to me, so I kept it simple with my Rose Queen Bath Bomb from Lush and my best friend Netflix. I've been catching up on the show Revenge, which is ridiculously over the top but strangely addictive, and decided this would be a good "guilty pleasure" choice for my day.

The Rose Queen Bath Bomb was amazing. It dissolved fairly quickly in the hot water, fizzing and releasing the multitude of rose petals that were hidden inside. The bath bomb turned the water a light pink and gave off a beautiful, but not overwhelming, rose scent. I would definitely purchase it again. With that, I enjoyed a nice long bath while watching Amanda Clarke/Emily Thorne take down wealthy socialites.

I believe it is important to take a break from work or school every now and then with a "personal day" to collect your thoughts and relax a bit.

Here are some other ways to do that:
-Take a walk on a trail or anywhere away from traffic and noise
-Make a cup of tea and read that book you've been meaning to get to
-Head to a store like Home Goods and pick out a new candle for your bedroom
-Watch a YouTube tutorial to learn how to knit or crochet
-Go see a movie during the day or in the morning, the ticket prices are much cheaper and you won't feel awkward being by yourself
-Choose a recipe from Pinterest or a cookbook and try it out
-Start a mini-garden of potted plants
-Get some cheap decorations from the dollar store or Five Below to prepare your house/apartment for an upcoming holiday
-Research ideas for your dream vacation

Let me know what you like to do on your "personal days"!

No comments:

Post a Comment